Millon & Peskin | Attorneys at Law

Call for a free consultation today: 630-449-3884

Photo of office building of Millon & Peskin | Attorneys at Law

Restoring Dignity & Control After An Injury 

Can you refuse to do unreasonably dangerous jobs?

On Behalf of | May 3, 2021 | Workers' Compensation |

You know that you face some risks in your profession. But you also know that the job your employer is asking you to do is too dangerous and you don’t feel comfortable. 

For instance, maybe you are working in a trench. It had a support system, but those safety devices were just removed. Your boss asks you to go back in the trench to do one last “quick” task before the project wraps up. You know that it sounds fast and simple, but you also know that you’re not supposed to work in a trench that size without supports because it can collapse. Can you refuse to do the job?

You may refuse a dangerous task in good faith

As long as you honestly believe in the danger and the elevated risk — which is clear in this example — then you can refuse to do the job. Specifically, this is a case of your boss asking you to break safety regulations, but the situation doesn’t have to be that dramatic or obviously risky. If you have identified a level of danger you’re not comfortable taking on, you can ask your boss to fix that danger or have the site inspected. If they refuse to do that, you can also refuse to put yourself at risk. 

Unfortunately, many workers feel like they have no choice, and they take on jobs that are too dangerous. Others don’t understand the full risk until they get injured. Plus, workers can still be injured in an accident that happens even when all safety regulations are followed. 

What to do if you’re hurt on the job

If you have been hurt on the job in any of these ways, you must know how to seek proper compensation. Workers’ compensation benefits are supposed to be there for you to rely upon when you’re unable to work and you need medical treatment for a work-related injury. If you’re having trouble with your claim, it may be time to speak with an attorney.

FindLaw Network